Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Blessingway

Up until recently I've thought of the blessingway as a new-age ritual, one that I as a believer in Christ wouldn't be interested in considering either in theory or practice.  In the interest of avoiding being labeled "religious" (rooted in the Truth and reconciled wi
th God through faith in Jesus, but not focused on the rites and rituals of organized religion)  I cringe somewhat even at the word "blessing" as it is so overused in Christian and non-Christian circles.  However, Nicole at Bellies and Babies just shared on the blessingway in such a way that I want to revisit this way of honoring a mother-to-be. 
Baby showers.  Tense and awkward icebreakers, childish games (I rock at them, by the way!), group measuring of the mother's belly and gawking at her swollen ankles.  Weird pink and blue cakes with a baby bottle and pacifier motif.  Is this really the best way to honor the sacred time of preparation for birth and baby?  Is this to empower, encourage, and protect?  Despite good intentions, I think not. 

What if the mother chose an evening shortly before her birthing time to be surrounded by her the women in her life she most cherished.   They would speak uplifting words to her and pray for strength and health.  They would rejoice in the journey that lay ahead, confident in the womanly ways of birthing that are designed by a loving Creator.  What if those women prepared her favorite foods, washed and massaged her tired feet, and presented her with thoughtful or even handmade gifts?  

Belief in empowered birth necessitates a change in that outdated prenatal ritual of the baby shower.  Whether or not we call it a "blessingway," let's always uphold the birthing ideals of the mother-to-be as we celebrate her upcoming birthing journey. 


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Beautiful. I remember when I first heard of blessingways I didn't think it was something I'd be into either, and when I had my own very few of my guests had been to one before and were worried about what to expect. But once they'd been to one and seen what they were all about everyone loved them :)

You can read about my blessingway here:
http://www.ilithyiainspired.com/2008/01/my-blissful-blessingway.html

and I wrote this article to explain what they are:
http://www.ilithyiainspired.com/2008/08/blessingways-mother-showers.html